Muon flux experiments

Aperture of the telescope

Determination of the solid angle of two parallel plates (AxB cm2) at distance D cm, measured in steradians [sr].

Using the known dimensions, in cm, and the exposure time, in s, rate can be estimated. Efficiency of the detector must be considered.

Aperture in [sr] can be approximated to (see demonstration):

w = 4 tan-1(A B / 2πD) [sr]

This calculation needs to be refined.

A simple experiment with square (DxD) scintillators is to space them a distance D to get 45 aperture. In vertical position 80% of flux shoud be detected and in horizontal position one half of the remaining 20%.

rV = 8 rH